Auto-Archive E-mails in Outlook / Office for Mac 2011
Probably the most asked question about Outlook for Mac 2011 is why Microsoft didn’t include the Auto-Archive feature? Most companies have a limit on their employees mailboxes so you’d need to archive your e-mails every now and then. Instead of switching back to a Windows computer you could do the following:
1. Open up “Microsoft Outlook” from your Applications folder
2. Go to Outlook(top bar) -> Preferences -> General
3. Deselect “Hide On My Computer folders”
4. Right click the “On My Computer” link in the left navigation bar and select “New Folder“. Name the folder something like Archived E-mails
5. Go to Tools -> Rules
6. With Exchange selected from the On My Computer section, click the + near the bottom of the window to create a new rule
7. Change the rule name from “unititled” to something like “90 Day Auto-Archive”
8. Define under “When a new message arrives” the criterion as “Date Received” + “is Greater than or equal to + “90” to apply to messages older than 90 days
9. Define under “Do the Following: the action as “Move message” + “Archived E-mails (On My Computer)” Make sure you select a folder which does have (On My Computer) in it:
10. Mark the “Enabled” box and click OK.
11. Select your Inbox and go to Message -> Rules -> Apply -> 90 Day Auto-Archive” to archive your e-mails from 90 days and older inside your Inbox
Note: If you have arranged your inbox folder into sub-folders, you will need to run this rule on each folder individually.